Kabuli Chana or Chole [Garbanzo beans]dry – 1.5 cup
Tea bags – 2
Whole garam masala – 1 tbsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder -1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
Chana Masala -1.5 tbsp
Onion -3/4 (pureed or finely chopped)
Tomato puree -1 cups
Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
Garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Green chili -1 tsp (finely chopped) [Optional]
olive oil – 2 tbspn
Salt as per taste
1. Wash dry Kabuli Chana or Chole a couple of times and soak them overnight in water.
2. Add soaked chole, turmeric powder, salt and 4 cups of water and tea bags in the pressure cooker. Pressure cook it for 30 minutes on medium heat.
3. For gravy, heat olive oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala. Let it crackle. Then add pureed onions and sauté it, till turns light golden. Add ginger paste, garlic paste and chopped green chilies (optional). Cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add tomato puree, red chili powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder in the gravy and let it simmer for 5-6 minutes on medium-low heat.
5. Discard the tea bags from the boiled chole. Add the gravy to the boiled chole and add a cup of water and simmer it on low heat for 10 minutes.
6. Finally, add chana masala and let it simmer for 2 more minutes.
7. Garnish the Punjabi chole with freshly chopped cilantro and serve with halved lemons.
Enjoy with fresh naan, paratha or steamed basmati rice.
Tags: Beans, Chana, Chholay, chhole, Cholay, Chole, Chole Curry, Choley, Curry, Garbanzo, Garbanzo beans, Kabuli, Kabuli chana, panjabi, Panjabi Chole, Panjabi Chole Curry, Pindi, Pindi Chole, Punjabi, Punjabi Chole, Punjabi Chole Curry, Punjabi dish