Hot and Sour Soup is a popular Chinese soup loaded with veggies and usually chicken. Try this flavorful and hearty Indian Chinese version which is completely vegetarian and can be made vegan also. It’s simply delicious.
Oil – 1 Tbsp
Garlic – 1 tsp, minced
Ginger – 1 tsp, minced
Frozen Peas & Carrots – 1/2 cup
Frozen Corn – 1/4 cup
Green Beans – 1/4 cup, cut at an angle
Celery – 1/4 cup, thinly sliced
Cauliflower – 1/2 cup, finely chopped
Cabbage – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
Mushroom – 1 large, thinly sliced
Vegetable Broth/Stock – 4 cups
Egg Noodles – 1 cup
Soy Sauce – to taste
Red Chili Sauce – to taste
Black Pepper – to taste
Vinegar – 1 Tbsp, or to taste
Corn Starch – 1 Tbsp, mixed with a little cold water
Egg – 1, well beaten (optional)
Spring/Green Onions – 2, chopped at an angle
1. Heat Oil in a medium sized pot.
2. Add Ginger and Garlic and saute for 30 seconds or so.
3. Add Corn, Green Beans, Peas & Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery and Cabbage – saute for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add Vegetable Broth, Salt, Black Pepper and Egg Noodles.
5. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer until Egg Noodles are tender but not overcooked.
6. Add Mushrooms, 1/2 of the green onions, Chili Sauce, Soy Sauce and Vinegar – bring to a boil.
7. Mix 2-3 Tbsp water with the Corn Starch and add it to the soup – bring to a boil.
8. Slowly add in beaten Egg and keep stirring to form strands – cook for 1-2 minutes.
9. Garnish with Spring Onions and serve hot!
1. For Vegans, use wheat based noodles instead of egg noodles and omit the egg.
2. The same soup can be made into a non-vegetarian version. Use Chicken Broth and add cooked, shredded chicken with the mushrooms.
3. Corn Starch is a thickener. Use more or less depending on the consistency you prefer.