* 3 ripe mangoes , peeled, flesh removed from stones and sliced
* 2 dried birds-eye chillies or a pinch of chilly flakes
* 2 tbsp caster sugar
* finely grated zest of 2 limes
* vanilla ice cream , to serve
1. Arrange the mango slices on a serving platter. Put the chillies and a little of the sugar in a mortar and pound to break up the chilli. Add the rest of the sugar, and the zest, and pound to incorporate until the sugar becomes speckled green.
2. Sprinkle the sugar over the mango slices and let guests help themselves, with scoops of vanilla ice cream.