* 100ml yellow split peas
* 2½ tbsp sunflower oil
* 1 small onion , finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves , crushed
* 1 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tsp tumeric
* 50g raisins
* 100g cooked chickpeas
* 2 tbsp mango chutney
* 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
* 4 large beef tomatoes
1. Put the split peas in a pan with 600ml/1pt cold water. Bring to the boil and skim the surface to remove any scum. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins. Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan and cook the onion and garlic for 4 mins until softened. Stir in the spices, then cook for a further minute. Stir this mixture and the raisins into the split peas, then cook for a further 10 mins until soft and creamy. Stir in the chickpeas, chutney and coriander and heat through. Season to taste.
3. Slice the tops off the beef tomatoes and reserve. Scrape out the insides and discard. Spoon the dhal mixture into the tomatoes and replace the tops. Place on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining oil. Cook for 20 mins until the tomatoes have softened.