* 3 tbsp ghee (clarified butter), or oil
* 1 small onion , finely chopped
* 1 stick cinnamon
* 2 cardamom pods
* 4 cloves
* 1 tsp fennel seeds
* 2cm piece root ginger , very finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves , crushed
* 1 tsp turmeric powder
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* ¾ tsp chilli powder
* 1 tsp tomato purée
* 2 skinless chicken breasts , cut into chunks
* 1 chopped tomato
* a handful of coriander leaves, chopped
1. Heat the ghee in a large heavy pan, add the chopped onion and stir for a minute with the heat on high. Turn the heat to low, add the cinammon, cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds, stir for 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes on low, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing catches. Then add the turmeric, ground coriander and chilli powder and fry gently for a minute. Add the tomato purée and stir in enough hot water to make a sauce. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Season with salt.
2. Heat a little oil in a large heavy frying pan and stir-fry the chicken pieces until they turn white. Add the chicken and chopped tomato to the sauce and simmer gently for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked, stirring from time to time.
3. Sprinkle with the coriander and serve with plain rice.